"This is our third annual offering featuring the Old School Revival -- the neoclassical movement to recapture the vigor and style of the earliest days of Dungeons & Dragons. The OSR offers tools, not plotlines -- rulings, not rules -- a gamemaster who doesn't railroad players onto a prearranged script but lets them sink or swim through their own actions. Encounters aren't necessarily "balanced," and outcomes are seldom scripted. Characters who don't use their heads usually wind up losing them. These fantasy RPGs, supplements, and modules are part of the passionate movement to reinvigorate and popularize play-styles associated with the first incarnations of D&D -- whether brown/white-box Original D&D, Holmes-Moldvay-Cook Basic/Expert, or AD&D 1e. Many, many "retro-clone" games recast the rules of one or another of these games in new language.
This all-new +3 collection, which runs in parallel with our newly resurrected original OSR bundle, features games and modules that adapt the old-school approach to new genres."
Ebooks are DRM free .PDF, 10% of the proceeds after expenses will go to the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
The total retail value of the titles in this offer at launch is US$77. Customers who pay $5.95 get all five titles in the Starter Collection (retail value $35):
- Slumbering Ursine Dunes (Hydra Cooperative, retail price $9): Mayhem and weirdness in a Slavic-themed sandbox featuring 15 new monsters, two dungeons, and a dynamic events system that adjusts events based on players' actions.
- The Gnomes of Levnec (Zzarchov Kowolski, retail $5): A cranky lord, missing villagers, and many delicious gnomes. Try a bite!
- Strange Stars (Hydra Cooperative, retail $10): Adventure between the stars with this science fiction retroclone inspired by Star Frontiers and '70s TV space opera.
- Weird Adventures and Strange Trails (Hydra Cooperative, retail $11): Journey to Empire City for pulp-era fantasy gaming with these two titles featuring fantasy tropes mixed with radios, trains, and skyscrapers.
- A Red & Pleasant Land (Lamentations, retail price $15): Zak S (Vornheim) mixes Alice in Wonderland and even more weirdness (such as vampires and Decapitated Lords), all in a format compatible with your favorite FRPG.
- Owl Hoot Trail (Pelgrane Press, retail $10): Posse up with this Wild West-flavored take on fantasy gaming, where outlaw orcs battle with half'in gunslingers and weird gadgeteers.
- Fever-Dreaming Marlinko (Hydra Cooperative, retail $9): Tied into the Slumbering Ursine Dunes setting, this city supplement presents escalating events/triggers, two dungeons, and a carousing system.
- Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures (Flatland Games, retail $8): A simple standalone zero-prep RPG for young adventurers, inspired by Le Guin, Susan Cooper, and Lloyd Alexander's Prydain books.
Usual disclaimer - I'm seeing this stuff because I get downloads free if I want them. I think it's a reasonably good deal, but I don't have to pay for it so as previously mentioned YMMV.