"Originally published in French and presented here in elegant English translations, Shadows of Esteren is a medieval roleplaying game with a horrific and gothic influence. Drawing inspiration from Celtic myths, this universe has a discreetly fantastic side hidden under a bleak, realistic surface. This world is populated with humans who have to cope with tough daily lives while facing supernatural threats lurking in the dark. Focusing on investigation and survival, Shadows of Esteren favors an immersive mood and interactions among the players.
The Shadows of Esteren line is instantly recognizable for the stunning full-color artwork that ornaments nearly every page of each book. Few RPG lines in the history of the field have enjoyed such brilliant presentation. In September 2013 Shadows of Esteren Book 1 - Universe won three ENnie Awards for Best Interior Art (Gold), Best Production Values (Gold), and Product of the Year (Silver).
Since its first, spectacularly successful Kickstarter in summer 2012, publisher Agate Éditions has run six crowdfunding campaigns for Esteren rulebooks and supplements, raising a total of US$500,000. Collectively the Esteren RPG series holds the crowdfunding record for a French creation.
Esteren is a multimedia creation. Members of the Esteren creative team, Forgesonges Collective, not only design and illustrate the RPG books, they also compose and perform atmospheric music, such as a live symphonic concert in the Grand Temple in Lyon, France, November 30, 2013. There's even a licensed Esteren pixel-art puzzle game for iOS and Android, Esteren: Clutches of the Sorcerer Lord. In addition to nearly every RPG product in the line to date, this offer includes Of Men and Obscurities, a collection of 19 Esteren .MP3 music tracks intended as an ambient soundtrack for game sessions.
We provide each ebook complete in .PDF (Portable Document Format) and each music track as .MP3 audio. Like all Bundle of Holding titles, these books and music tracks have NO DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), and our customers are entitled to move them freely among all their ereaders and music players.
Ten percent of each purchase (after gateway fees) goes to this offer's designated charity, Environmental Defense Fund.
The total retail value of the titles in this offer is US$92. Customers who pay just $9.95 get all four titles in our Starter Collection (retail value $45) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks or .MP3 audio files:
- Shadows of Esteren Book 0 - Prologue (free): The ideal introduction to Esteren, with a rules summary, template characters, and three linked scenarios, and handouts.
- Book 1 - Universe (retail price $25): The core rulebook that conjures the gothic horror setting with a system that emphasizes story without sacrificing tactics. Includes handouts, character sheets, map, pronunciation guide, and character creation guide.
- Hauntings ($5): A fiction collection of five short ghost stories set in the world of Esteren.
- Of Men and Obscurities (retail $10): Shadows of Esteren is a multimedia project. This collection of .MP3 audio tracks contains ambient music written especially for Esteren.
- Shadows of Esteren Book 2 - Travels (retail $25): Explore the Tri-Kazel Peninsula with a hundred noteworthy places, 18 personalities, more creatures, and five short adventures. Includes handouts with maps, character portraits, and more.
- Monastery of Tuath (retail $10): The clerical Temple faction in the world of Esteren -- monastic life, the Six Vows, and an investigative scenario inspired by The Name of the Rose. Includes handouts with clues, maps, portraits, and stunning artwork.
- Black Moon Handbook (retail $10): This supplement explores ghosts, hauntings, and exorcisms. Includes notable occult NPCs, new creatures, and four scenarios.
- Game Leader Kit (retail $2): Handy charts and tables.
As usual I have to point out my bias - I can download this stuff free if I want it. In this case I don't, but it looks like a good deal, and the material I've downloaded to take a look is absolutely gorgeous. I think it's pretty good value for money, but as usual YMMV.