"Castles & Crusades is basically a top-notch homebrew D&D variant writ large. The aesthetic here is 1st Ed. AD&D, with the simplicity of Basic-era D&D. All the basic classes you know from any form of D&D are here. Playing C&C is extremely easy, especially for players with any experience with D&D. You gain XP in the same way, level up in the same way, engage in combat in the same way, and more. Its combat conjures an exciting old-school feel without THAC0, negative Armor Class, or weird saves. A unified mechanic makes play fast and simple. You can pick up pretty much any AD&D 1e module or setting from TSR and use it pretty much as written, changing AC on the fly and experiencing old-guard adventures with a modern system.
This bargain-priced collection provides everything a player or Castle Keeper needs for a complete Castles & Crusades campaign. We provide each ebook complete in .PDF (Portable Document Format). Like all Bundle of Holding titles, these books have NO DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), and our customers are entitled to move them freely among all their ereaders.
Ten percent of each purchase (after gateway fees) goes to this offer's designated charity, Heifer International.
The total retail value of the titles in this offer at launch is US$116. Customers who pay just $11.95 get all three titles in our Starter Collection (retail value $47) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks:
- Players Handbook 6th Printing (retail price $20): The complete full-color rulebook with the adaptable, rules-light SIEGE Engine system.
- Rune Lore (retail $20): Three schools of runic magic, 40 new spells, the Rune Mark character class, and a lengthy guide to the Gottland campaign setting.
- Arms & Armor (retail $7): A huge range of weapons and armor from Europe's early medieval period, all with complete C&C stats.
- Castle Keepers Guide (retail $35): The massive, indispensable 352-page gamemastering resource.
- Classic Monsters (retail $20): C&C stats and writeups adapted from fantasy roleplaying's earliest sources, like Monster Manual II and the Fiend Folio.
- Engineering Dungeons (retail $7) and Engineering Castles (retail $7): Two fun and comprehensive collections of tables that let you generate complete random labyrinths and structures.
At least one more title will be added at some point after launch. ALL customers who previously purchased the bundle automatically receive the newly added title, REGARDLESS of whether or not they paid higher than average. This is their reward for buying early."
As usual I have to point out my bias - I can download this stuff free if I want it. In this case I don't, but it looks like an OK deal, if not the best ever. I think it's reasonable value for money, but as usual YMMV.