"This is a comprehensive collection featuring Mike Pondsmith's tabletop roleplaying game of steampunk science, magick, and high adventure, Castle Falkenstein. Published in 1994 by R. Talsorian Games, Falkenstein conjures a New Europa where the forces of wizardry battle on the gaslit streets of an alternate Victorian Age -- where The Lord of the Rings meets The Prisoner of Zenda.
Inspired by a visit to Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, Mike Pondsmith (Cyberpunk, Mekton) created a splendid frappe of a rulebook. Unusually, it's told as the narrative adventure of one Tom Olam, a computer game artist unwillingly transported to New Europa by a powerful sorcerer and the King of the Fae. There he creates (in collaboration with the Prince of Wales) a "Great Game" that brings roleplaying to the salons of Europa.
The Great Game, and the Castle Falkenstein game itself, are high-spirited endeavors in unabashed melodrama, where adventures feature a Fiendish Plot, an Insidious Peril, Imprisonment in Durance Vile, and a Fate Worse Than Death, along with hairsbreadth escapes, deathtraps, and perilous battles. Players fill out not only characters sheets for their Dramatic Characters; they also keep a diary of the character's life and times in the Steam Age. Start a session of "the Great Game," and soon you'll be speaking and writing like Captain Fortune himself: "I've a loaded reciprocator in one hand, a saber in the other, and a deucedly good Helical Rotor Ornithopter to get me where it's needful. What say we take a flight over the Channel and beard the unscrupulous bounder in his very lair?"
This offer collects R. Talsorian's entire Castle Falkenstein line in one low-priced bundle. We provide each ebook complete in .PDF (Portable Document Format). Like all Bundle of Holding titles, these books have NO DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), and our customers are entitled to move them freely among all their ereaders.
Ten percent of each purchase (after gateway fees) goes to this offer's designated charity, Reading is Fundamental.
The total retail value of the titles in this offer at launch is US$78. Customers who pay just $9.95 get all three titles in our Starter Collection (retail value $40) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks:
- Castle Falkenstein corebook (retail price $20): The complete 226-page rulebook as a beautiful full-color .PDF.
- Comme Il Faut (retail $10): The player's essential guide to "all things right and proper" in the aristocratic courts of New Europa and beyond.
- Six-Guns & Sorcery (retail $10): Adventures in the Steam Age version of North America, a high-weirdness patchwork of bizarre nations.
- The Book of Sigils (retail $10): A new magick system, many new Sorcerous Orders and lorebooks, and rules for the animated dead, ghosts, and spirits.
- Steam Age (retail $8): A comprehensive equipment guide and interviews with many notable mad scientists and masterminds, like Captain Nemo and Lady Ada, the Enchantress of Numbers.
- The Lost Notebooks of Leonardo da Vinci (retail $10): Retrieved from beyond the Faerie Veil, this codex presents sorcerous devices and rules for the construction of magickal engines.
- The Memoirs of Auberon of Faerie (retail $10): The High Lord of the Seelie Court reveals the secrets of the enigmatic Fae. By Jeff Grubb (Marvel Super Heroes, Spelljammer).
I already own most (possibly all) of these books in dead tree format, I think, though I need to check - if I didn't I'd be very interested indeed. But if you haven't seen this game it's well worth a look, a fun genre and a style of presentation that is pretty much unique to this system.
As usual I have to point out that I'm getting this stuff free if I want it, but the starting price is a real bargain, I'd expect it to go up fast on this one.