"Blue Planet is the 1997 science-fiction tabletop roleplaying game from Biohazard Games about colonizing the ocean world of Poseidon, year 2199. With its accurate depictions of an alien planet's geography, climate, and ecosystem, Blue Planet sets the standard for "hard" (scientifically accurate) sf roleplaying. This offer presents both editions of the Blue Planet rules (Biohazard, 1997, and Fantasy Flight Games, 2000) and all the major supplements.
AD 2078: Investigating an anomaly at the edge of the Solar System, the Prometheus II probe discovers a traversable 'wormhole' (space warp) that leads to the Lambda Serpentis system, 35 light-years from Earth. Ten years later, the United Nations establishes a small frontier colony of genetically engineered humans and 'genlifted' cetaceans on the system's habitable ocean world, Poseidon. Earth's civilization promptly collapses for over a century, but the abandoned colony thrives. Now it's 2199, and Earth's resurgent government(s) and Incorporate States have returned to Poseidon in a gold rush for the life-prolonging xenosilicate Long John. There's a world to explore, an amazing ecology to study or plunder, criminals to catch -- and the original pioneers are rebelling. Meanwhile, deep in Poseidon's endless ocean, mysterious "aborigines" pursue unknowable goals of their own.
Blue Planet brings you on a compelling journey into humanity's dark future on a distant planet where life is hard and dying is easy -- a world where GEO Marshals enforce the peace and wired mercs patrol deep waters in deadly fighter subs -- a place where corporate greed and human desperation ravage an alien ecology, threatening to plunge humanity into a war of survival with an ancient legacy.
We provide each ebook complete in .PDF (Portable Document Format). Like all Bundle of Holding titles, these books have NO DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), and our customers are entitled to move them freely among all their ereaders.
Ten percent of each purchase (after gateway fees) goes to this offer's designated charity, Ocean Conservancy.
The total retail value of the titles in this offer at launch is US$102.50. Customers who pay just US$11.95 get all four titles in our Player's Collection (retail value $52.50) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks:
- Blue Planet First Edition rulebook (retail price $14): The complete 353-page 1997 rulebook from Biohazard Games.
- Blue Planet v2 Player's Guide (retail retail $14): The new rules introduced in the Second Edition (Fantasy Flight Games, 2000). Play a dolphin or orca!
- Fluid Mechanics (retail $12): An equipment book showcasing the impressive yet plausible high technology of 2199.
- Ancient Echoes (retail $12.50): The cetacean sourcebook. Play a beluga whale! With a rocket launcher!
- Blue Planet v2 Moderator's Guide (retail $14): The gamemastering rules, sourcebook, and campaign advice for the Second Edition.
- First Colony (retail $12): A location sourcebook for Poseidon's largest settlement, Haven.
- Frontier Justice (retail $12): Crime and law enforcement on Poseidon, and how to run campaigns with either crooks or GEO Marshals.
- Natural Selection (retail $12): The marvelous (and plausible) ecology of the alien oceans, and many newly discovered residents.
- Archipelago (retail $9.50): The first supplement for First Edition, this guide to the Pacifica Archipelago opens new frontiers on Poseidon.
My impression, from a VERY quick look, is that this game still has a slight over-emphasis on combat, but is still a very interesting setting. It looks to be good value for money, but as usual I have to point out that I'm not paying for it, your mileage may vary.