"ICONS, by Steve Kenson, designer of Green Ronin Publishing's Mutants & Masterminds, adapts the spirit of fast-playing classics like Marvel Super Heroes and Villains and Vigilantes to a modern narrative design loosely based on Stefan O'Sullivan's Fudge.
Compared to a lot of superhero RPGs, ICONS is fairly short and simple. You won't find exhaustive details or situational rules, and there's no built-in setting beyond "the world of comic book superheroes." The game targets the atmosphere of Silver Age comics and modern animated adventures like Batman Beyond. Mix-and-match heroes and villains from ICONS books, other games, your favorite comics, and your own imagination. The ICONS system provides a balancing mechanism so any group of heroes can work on relatively even footing.
This is a comprehensive collection with the full-color ICONS Assembled rulebook, the major supplements, five Hero Packs of pregenerated characters, and nearly a dozen adventures. We provide each ebook complete in .PDF (Portable Document Format). Like all Bundle of Holding titles, these books have NO DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), and our customers are entitled to move them freely among all their ereaders.
Ten percent of each purchase (after gateway fees) goes to this offer's designated charity, The Trevor Project.
The total retail value of the titles in this offer at launch is US$128. Customers who pay just US$14.95 get all eight titles in our Player's Collection (retail value $67) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks:
- ICONS: The Assembled Edtion (retail price $15): The complete, comprehensive 232-page full-color rulebook. Includes the Game Master's Screen (retail $1) with helpful reference charts.
- Great Power (retail $10): The super-powers sourcebook with new power options, dazzling devices, and ways to reskin existing powers.
- Five Hero Packs (total retail $41): A total of 260 fully statted, ready-to-play characters.
- ICONS A to Z (retail $10): Steve Kenson's 26 essays on all things superheroic -- from Aliens, Battles, and Cosmic through X-Factors, Youth, and Zombies -- published biweekly in 2015 and newly collected.
- The Villainomicon (retail $10): A rogues' gallery of antagonists from Auntie Social and Beastman to Yama King and Zergo.
- Rise of the Phalanx (total retail $26): These four linked adventures by Dan Houser (Flight of the Nova-1, Cold War Conundrum, The Nemesis Crisis, and The Metaskulk Invasion) kick off a new campaign or make great "special crossover events."
- Three four-color adventures (total retail $15): Scenarios in the Silver Age style by Steve Kenson: the introductory adventure The Sidereal Schemes of Dr. Zodiac, military battlesuit mayhem in The Skeletron Key, and the time-bending The RetConQuest.
This looks like it might be a lot of fun, and it's supporting a charity that looks like it needs all of the help it can get right now. I think it's well worth buying, but since I get freebies I may be biased, so YMMV. I'll be supporting The Trevor Project with a donation anyway.