This offer launched Tuesday, June 28, and runs through 2PM Eastern US time (GMT -5) Monday, July 11.
"In the satirical novels and stories of UK science fiction writer Charles Stross, "The Laundry" is a branch of the British secret service, tasked to prevent hideous alien gods from wiping out all life on Earth (and, more particularly, the United Kingdom) while maintaining ISO-9001 compliance. In The Atrocity Archives and many sequels, the harried occult agents of the Laundry fight Mythos horrors and their own bureaucratic procedures. They can save the world, but they have to get a receipt.
The stars are right for this revival, because Charles Stross has just published his new Laundry novel, The Nightmare Stacks (Amazon Kindle edition), and last year's The Annihilation Score is out in paperback (and you can still get its Kindle edition). The Laundry RPG is a great introduction to this ever-sprawling bureaucracy. The roleplaying game, by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan (Mongoose Traveller, The One Ring, PARANOIA) and others, adapts Chaosium's Basic Role-Playing engine (seen in Call of Cthulhu and many other games), adding new rules for "computational sorcery."
We provide each ebook complete in .PDF (Portable Document Format). Like all Bundle of Holding titles, these books have NO DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), and our customers are entitled to move them freely among all their ereaders.
Ten percent of each purchase (after gateway fees) goes to this offer's designated charity, the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
The total retail value of the titles in this offer at launch is US$115. Customers who pay just US$8.95 get both titles in our Starter Collection (retail value $40) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks:
- The Laundry corebook (retail $25): The 288-page guide to the top-secret, bottom-drawer occult branch of British espionage.
- Agent's Handbook (retail $15): Required training for Laundry officers, and essential guidance for Laundry players.
- Black Bag Jobs (retail $15): Six self-contained missions ranging from the war-torn hillsides of Afghanistan to the corridors of power in Whitehall, from yoga lessons in Devon to the end of the world.
- Cultists Under the Bed (retail $15): Eight of the nastiest, most tenacious foes of the Laundry, plus dozens of minor ones.
- God Game Black (retail $15): Expands on the revelations of The Apocalypse Codex novel to send your games hurtling towards Armageddon.
- License to Summon (retail $15): The dark side of Computational Demonology and arcane science in the Laundry, as well as the magic of other agencies -- and other entities. New spells, new gadgets, new ways to end the world!
- The Mythos Dossiers (retail $15): Dozens of reports, handouts, eyewitness accounts and deranged speculations from the murkier reaches of the Laundry's archives.
If you like gaming modern horror and black comedy, weird spy stuff, and/or shooting squamous things with big guns, this is an essential buy. And it looks very good value, especially if you get in early. But as usual I have to point out that I'm not paying for this stuff, I get freebies, so your mileage may vary.