Trail of Cthulhu
"Originally presented in April 2014 and revived once already in June 2015, this was one of the Bundle site's most successful offers. Trail of Cthulhu is the bestselling game by star designer Kenneth Hite that adapts the Pelgrane Press GUMSHOE System of investigative RPG scenarios (also seen in The Esoterrorists, Ashen Stars, Mutant City Blues, Night's Black Agents, and others) to Lovecraftian Mythos-hunting.
We're reviving this offer for a second time in conjunction with a new Trail of Cthulhu Bundle +2. Both offers run in parallel and end together Monday, November 7.
We provide each ebook complete in .PDF (Portable Document Format). Like all Bundle of Holding titles, these books have NO DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), and our customers are entitled to move them freely among all their ereaders.
Ten percent of each purchase (after gateway fees) goes to this offer's designated charity, Haiti Outreach.
The total retail value of the titles in this offer is US$111. Customers who pay just US$9.95 get all four titles in our Starter Collection (retail value $43) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks:
- Trail of Cthulhu (retail price $21): The complete rulebook of investigative horror set in the 1930s. Because Trail uses the GUMSHOE System, it's not about hunting for clues but interpreting them -- figuring how they solve the mystery.
- Keeper's Resource Book & Screen (retail $8): A book for Keepers with clues, benefits, NPCs, and information about life in the 1930s. Includes a .PDF with all the tables you need to run a Trail game.
- Stunning Eldritch Tales (retail $9): Four adventures for the Pulp style by GUMSHOE System designer Robin D. Laws.
- Four Shadows (retail $5): Atmospheric music by James A. Semple to enhance your Trail sessions.
- The Armitage Files (retail $17): Ten mysterious documents by Robin D. Laws offers filled with clues, along with clear advice for the Keeper on how to improvise sandbox-style adventures based on the players' interpretations.
- Bookhounds of London (retail $20): Kenneth Hite's brilliant campaign setting of disreputable hustlers who sell rare Mythos texts -- and sometimes defend humanity from their own customers.
- The Book of The Smoke (retail $13): Also known as The Occult Guide to London, this campanion volume to Bookhounds is a primer for playing in the dismal fog of 1930s London.
- Arkham Detective Tales Extended Edition (retail $9): Five labyrinthine law-enforcement investigations by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan.
- Rough Magicks (retail $6): Kenneth Hite explains the rules of magick for Investigators and Mythos creatures alike.
- Hideous Creatures - Shoggoth (retail $3): An installment of the Ken Writes About Stuff series that covers everyone's favorite shapeless congeries of protoplasm.
Trail of Cthulhu +2
"This new +2 follow-up collection gathers many major scenarios published since the original offer's run, including Mythos Expeditions and the mammoth globetrotting adventure Eternal Lies. Ten percent of each purchase (after gateway fees) goes to this offer's designated charity, Haiti Outreach.
The total retail value of the titles in this offer at launch is US$101. Customers who pay just US$8.95 get all four titles in our Starter Collection (retail value $40) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks:
- Trail of Cthulhu Player's Guide (retail price $11): The character creation and rules systems for players of Kenneth Hite's GUMSHOE game of Mythos investigations. (Previously presented in our October 2013 Bundle of Tentacles.)
- Soldiers of Pen and Ink (retail $9): During the 1936 Spanish Civil War, the investigators search Madrid for a missing colleague. Cameo by Ernest Hemingway.
- Dulce et Decorum Est (retail $13): Three Great War scenarios by Adam Gauntlett cast Mythos terrors against the horrific backdrop of World War I.
- The Seventh Circle (retail $7: A modern-day Fear Itself horror adventure (with conversion notes for Trail of Cthulhu) about a TV crew uncovering dark secrets on a remote Scottish island
- Eternal Lies (retail $25): The acclaimed massive 400-page globe-spanning campaign by Will Hindmarch and Jeff Tidball in the tradition of Masks of Nyarlathotep.
- Eternal Lies Suite (retail $15): 70 minutes of atmospheric background music for your game sessions, plus a voiceover by Wil Wheaton. (Previously presented in our August 2014 GUMSHOE Music offer.)
- Mythos Expeditions (retail $21): Cover the world with these ten far-flung journeys by Kenneth Hite, Robin D. Laws, and other star designers.
These are pretty good offers in my opinion, and if I wasn't pretty much monstered out (too much Call of Cthulhu etc. in the eighties and nineties) I'd be very interested; as it is I will probably be getting some of it just to look at how it's put together. I think it's well worth what it costs, but as usual I have to point out I get freebies if I want them - you may be less enthusiastic if you have to pay.