"This is our second Dream Pod 9 offer, after the August 2016 Tribe 8 Bundle. Heavy Gear is DP9's flagship game of far-future warfare and interstellar intrigue. Starting as a tactical miniatures wargame of armored combat on the distant world of Terra Nova in the 62nd Century, Heavy Gear spawned two video games and an animated TV series. The RPG is renowned for exciting combat, a detailed and plausible setting, and an epic storyline that is often praised as "metaplot done right." This offer presents the 2003 Third Edition of Heavy Gear, along with the Silhouette CORE Deluxe Edition rulebook that drives the system, plus a generous range of 3E supplements and all five Storyline books. We provide each ebook complete in .PDF (Portable Document Format). Like all Bundle of Holding titles, these books have NO DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), and our customers are entitled to move them freely among all their ereaders. [Note: These .PDFs are image scans from the 1990s hardcopy originals. The print is readable but light. Most text can be copied; the optical character recognition (OCR) is generally good but not foolproof.]
Ten percent of each purchase (after gateway fees) goes to this offer's designated charity, Make-A-Wish International.
The total retail value of the titles in this offer at launch is US$86. Customers who pay just US$11.95 get all five titles in our Starter Collection (retail value $43) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks:
- Silhouette CORE Deluxe Edition (retail price $12): The system that drives Heavy Gear 3E and the other Dream Pod 9 RPGs.
- Heavy Gear Player's Handbook 3E (retail $9): The rulebook that introduces the 62nd-Century setting, its character archetypes, equipment, and technology.
- Terra Nova Companion 3E and Vehicle Companion 3E (retail $9 apiece): Comprehensive guides to the Heavy Gear planet and its Gears, striders, tanks, aircraft, and specialty transports.
- Operation: Jungle Drums Redux! (retail $4): An ideal introductory adventure, a special operation in deep jungle that introduces characters significant in the later storyline.
- Earth Companion 3E (retail $9): All about the New Earth Commonwealth and its Colonial Expeditionary Force (CEF), which seek to reconquer Terra Nova.
- Storyline Books 1-5 (total retail $28): The standard-setting 15-year epic that showed other companies how to handle metaplot -- 1: Crisis of Faith (retail $6), 2: Blood on the Wind (retail $5.50), 3: Return to Cat's Eye (retail $5.50), 4: Storm on the Horizon (retail $5.50), and 5: Distant Shores (retail $5.50).
- Life on Caprice (retail $6): Venture offworld to this Earth-occupied colony ripe for revolution.
This isn't a setting and genre that particularly appeals to me, I generally prefer a smaller scale of interaction and more "human" plots, but if you like battles in your RPGs this is definitely one to go for, and I think you get good value for money. But as always your mileage may vary.
Also posted at http://ffutures.dreamwidth.org/2064624.html, where there are comments. Please comment here or there using OpenID.