"Revived from its phenomenally successful run in December 2015, this 13th Age Bundle features the bestselling tabletop fantasy roleplaying game 13th Age from Pelgrane Press. Created by Rob Heinsoo and Jonathan Tweet, lead designers of the Third and Fourth Editions of D&D, 13th Age combines the best parts of traditional D20 RPGs with story-focused rules that let you run the kind of game you most want to play.
The nominal setting of 13th Age, the Dragon Empire, is intentionally left half-created, so each campaign can pioneer new stories. Most D20 games have powerful NPCs -- conquerors, sorcerers, demigods, dragons -- who shape the world behind the scenes. 13th Age brings them forward, making them Icons the PCs will aid or oppose in your campaign. The network of Icon relationships, both among themselves and with the player characters, differs for each group. The characters' relationships and backgrounds help define the setting. Each 13th Age player chooses "One Unique Thing" that makes his or her character interesting and hints at a story that can unfold over the campaign. Unique Things can establish facts about the world. If the player says, "I am the only acrobat who performed their way out of the Diabolist's Circus of Hell" -- well, wow! Wonderful! The GM didn't even know there was a Circus of Hell, but of course there is -- now.
As with the original run, this bargain-priced revival includes rules, monsters, treasures, adventures, and even music -- everything you need to run your own 13th Age campaign in the Dragon Empire. We provide these ebooks and audio tracks complete in .PDF (Portable Document Format) or as MP3 audio tracks. Like all Bundle of Holding titles, these books and music tracks have NO DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), and our customers are entitled to move them freely among all their ereaders and players.
Ten percent of each purchase (after gateway fees) goes to the charity selected by Pelgrane Press co-owner Simon Rogers, the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
The total retail value of the titles in this revived offer at launch is US$126. Customers who pay just $19.95 get all the titles in our Starter Collection (retail value $62) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks and MP3 music tracks, including the complete 325-page 13th Age rulebook (retail price $25), the 13 True Ways rules expansion (retail $21) and the huge 13th Age Soundtrack (retail $16) with atmospheric music for play sessions.
Those who pay more than the threshold (average) price, which is set at $32.95 to start, also get our entire Bonus Collection with four more titles worth an additional $64:
- Eyes of the Stone Thief (retail $25): Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan's massive 364-page campaign in pursuit of, and inside, a colossal living megadungeon.
- 13th Age Bestiary (retail $21): A horde of new creatures, both monsters and rivals, with hundreds of variant versions.
- The Book of Loot (retail $9): A 72-page collection of hundreds of new treasures.
- Diamonds and Shadows (retail $14): This compilation of modules from the 13th Age Organized Play program sends the heroes on a campaign to locate and dispose of a powerful magical gem.
- Shadows of Eldolan (retail $9): An ideal introductory adventure set in a small town with duelling wizards' schools.
- Candles, Clay, & Dancing Shoes (retail $3): This installment of the 13th Age Monthly subscription program presents half a dozen one-use magic items.
I'll be honest, this wasn't one I took a lot of interest first time around, I tend not to play straight fantasy RPGs, but the value looks pretty good. I'm biased, of course, since I'm getting this stuff free if I want it, so YMMV. Also posted at http://ffutures.dreamwidth.org/2072800.html, where there are comments. Please comment here or there using OpenID.