The Strange Bundlehttps://bundleofholding.com/presents/TheStrange-2017
"Revived from October 2015, this Strange Bundle is one of two offers now in progress featuring the Cypher System rules set from from Monte Cook Games. This revival runs in parallel with the all-new Cypher System Bundle with the universal-system rulebook and two campaign settings. In the recursion-spanning The Strange RPG, recursions -- limited pocket dimensions with their own laws of reality -- are seeded from human fiction and mythology. A recursor might discover Atlantis, Oz, the Victorian London of Sherlock Holmes, and places even more bizarre. You can go absolutely anywhere, to any fictional setting or imaginary realm -- including any of your favorite roleplaying worlds.
We provide each ebook complete in .PDF (Portable Document Format). Like all Bundle of Holding titles, these books have NO DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), and our customers are entitled to move them freely among all their ereaders.
Ten percent of each purchase (after gateway fees) goes to the charity chosen by Monte Cook Games, Doctors Without Borders.
This revived October 2015 collection, with a total retail value of US$95, includes everything you need for a complete campaign across the Chaosphere. Customers who pay just US$9.95 get all four titles in this offer's Player's Collection (retail value $41) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks:
- The Strange (retail price $20): The beautiful full-color 418-page rulebook with character creation, sample recursions, and the complete Cypher System. Includes the free recursion Ohunkakan: The Living Myths.
- The Strange Player's Guide (retail $8): Create characters, explore the setting, and learn how to play with this 96-page extract from the complete rulebook. Includes six pre-generated characters.
- In Translation: The Strange Character Options (retail $10): More than 50 new abilities for paradoxes, vectors, and spinners -- moves, revisions, twists, descriptors, and foci.
- Swordbreakers (retail $3): These elite operatives in the Ardeyn recursion can be an affiliate organization for characters who want to expand their horizons.
- Worlds Numberless and Strange (retail $17): A 226-page guide to nearly 70 new recursions.
- The Strange Bestiary (retail $15): 140 bizarre and imaginative creatures encountered on Earth, Ardeyn, Ruk, Crow Hollow, and Atom Nocturne -- all compatible with Numenera.
- The Dark Spiral (retail $10): Investigating the drug Spiral Dust, the operatives fight the malign alien Dustman. These linked adventures make an ideal starting campaign.
- The Estate Dossiers (retail $2): Realistic handouts for new Estate Operative recruits.
- When Worlds Collide: Converting Numenera and The Strange (retail $4): A guide to moving seamlessly between these two Cypher System games.
- Plus The Strange GM Screen (retail $2) and the introductory adventure Eschatology Code (retail $4).
Cypher System Bundle
"This offer features the Cypher System RPG rules from Monte Cook Games -- the system that underpins Numenera and The Strange. This new collection -- a companion to the revived October 2015 Strange Bundle now in progress -- includes the complete Cypher System rulebook, two world settings, and other titles funded by the successful February 2016 Worlds of the Cypher System Kickstarter. It's everything you need for multiple campaigns using the easy and flexible Cypher System. We provide each ebook complete in .PDF (Portable Document Format). Like all Bundle of Holding titles, these books have NO DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), and our customers are entitled to move them freely among all their ereaders.
Ten percent of each purchase (after gateway fees) goes to this offer's designated charity, Doctors Without Borders.
The total retail value of the titles in this offer at launch is US$89. Customers who pay just US$11.95 get all three titles in this offer's Starter Collection (retail value $41) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks, including the complete Cypher System Rulebook (retail price $20), the Expanded Worlds rules expansion (retail $18), and the supplement Cults, Factions, and Syndicates (retail $3).
Those who pay more than this offer's threshold (average) price, which is set at $22.95 to start, also get this offer's entire Bonus Collection with six more titles worth an additional $48:
- Gods of the Fall (retail $18): In a dark age after a divine realm's destruction, you carry the spark of godhood. Can you claim a place in the heavens?
- Two Gods of the Fall supplements: the complete adventure After the Nightfall (retail $3) and the conversion guide Gods Beyond (retail $2), which lets you bring these fallen gods into Numenera or The Strange.
- Predation (retail $18): Time travellers and their genetically altered dinosaur companions duke it out in the Cretaceous Era.
- Two Predation supplements: the adventure The Cawdor Complex (retail $5) and the Way of the Dinosaur conversion guide (retail $2).
Cypher System resources
- CypherCast Hub
- Cypher System subreddit -- Cypher System Gaming on Facebook -- Google+ Cypher System community
- Cypher Speak -- Misdirected Mark Productions podcast about Monte Cook Games
- The Cypher System Creator program lets fans publish their own Cypher System works through DriveThruRPG
I've taken a look at this and it's very pretty, but I get the feeling that it's occasionally trying a little too hard to be clever. The central idea is one I've used myself for RPGs and fanfic, and I can't help wondering if the level of jargon used is really essential - there are much easier ways to set up a campaign envolving multiple worlds with different natural laws etc., such as throwing the players in without warning and letting them figure things out for themselves. Having said that, you do get a lot of interesting stuff for your money, and I think it could be mined for gameable ideas for other multi-world systems such as GURPS, Forgotten Futures, etc. Recommended subject to all the usual provisos - I don't pay for this stuff and probably wouldn't be looking at it if I wasn't being asked to blog about it, if you have to pay for it your mileage may vary, etc. etc.
Also posted at https://ffutures.dreamwidth.org/2108150.html, where there are comments. Please comment here or there using OpenID.