Shadow of the Demon Lord
"Shadow of the Demon Lord is designer Robert J. Schwalb's dark fantasy RPG of grim heroism against a cosmic destroyer. In this fast-playing, low-prep March 2015 Kickstarter triumph, desperate heroes battle strange magic, unhinged cultists, and roaming mobs of undead while humanity's last great empire slides toward oblivion. Gamers who love Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, the Ravenloft and Midnight settings, Joe Abercrombie's The First Law novels, or heavy metal music will thrill to confront the Void That Hungers -- or, as star designer Kenneth Hite describes it, "Pure Spikey Caustic Red-Hot Squirming Deliquescing Rugose Gonna-Bite-Your-Fingers-Off Horned Fetid Monstrous EVIL."
We originally presented this bargain-priced collection to great success in May 2017. This offer prompted glowing writeups like The Dread Gazebo's "10 Great Reasons Why You Should Give Shadow of the Demon Lord a Try," and extravagant praise on Reddit's /r/rpg subreddit and the RPG.net forums. In conjunction with this revival we've spawned an all-new separate companion offer, Demon Lord Victims, with recent supplements and sourcebooks that tour the Lands in Shadow.
As with this offer's original run, we provide each ebook complete in .PDF (Portable Document Format). Like all Bundle of Holding titles, these books have NO DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), and our customers are entitled to move them freely among all their ereaders.
Ten percent of each payment (after payment gateway fees) for these two Shadow of the Demon Lord offers will be donated to the charity designated by Demon Lord designer Robert J. Schwalb, the Wildlife Conservation Society.
The total retail value of the titles in this revived offer is US$97. Customers who pay just US$9.95 get all five titles in this offer's Starter Collection (retail value $42) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks, including the complete 278-page Shadow of the Demon Lord corebook, the Demon Lord's Companion, the Uncertain Faith sourcebook of divine magic, and the fine introductory adventure Dark Deeds in Last Hope.
Those who pay more than this offer's threshold (average) price, which is set at $19.95 to start, also get this offer's entire Bonus Collection with seven more delicious gobbets of evil worth an additional $55. What's in these sourcebooks? The titles speak for themselves: Hunger in the Void, Tombs of the Desolation, A Glorious Death, Terrible Beauty, and Exquisite Agony. Plus, Tales of the Demon Lord presents 11 low-prep adventures across the Northern Reach, and the Demon Lord Screen has all the charts you need.
Demon Lord Victims Bundle
"This is an all-new companion collection of recent supplements and sourcebooks for Schwalb Entertainment's Shadow of the Demon Lord. This offer presents new rules expansions, an alternate setting, and many installments in the Victims of the Demon Lord and Lands in Shadow series. This offer runs in parallel with a revival of the original Shadow of the Demon Lord Bundle, which was a huge success in its first May 2017 run. Check out the Shadow of the Demon Lord Bundle promo page.
We provide each ebook complete in .PDF (Portable Document Format). Like all Bundle of Holding titles, these books have NO DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), and our customers are entitled to move them freely among all their ereaders.
Ten percent of each purchase (after gateway fees) goes to this offer's designated charity, the Wildlife Conservation Society.
The total retail value of the titles in this offer at launch is US$80.50. Customers who pay just US$9.95 get all nine titles in this offer's Starter Collection (retail value $38.50) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks:
- Beyond the World's Edge, a travelogue of the strange places and stranger denizens beyond the map in the core Shadow rulebook.
- Five gazetteers in the Lands in Shadow series: Borderlands of Tear, Caecras (crumbling capital of the Empire of Rûl), City of Death (Azl, northernmost city of the Confederacy), Kingdom of God (the Holy Kingdom), and A Land Divided (Old Edene).
- Three Victims of the Demon Lord race sourcebooks: For Gold and Glory (dwarves), Only Human, and Uncommon Courage (halflings).
- Demon Lord's Companion 2 and Forbidden Rules: New character options, combat rules, and interesting ways to reshape your campaign.
- Godless: A World in Fire and Blood: A complete alternate setting for Shadow of the Demon Lord, a post-apocalypse version of our own Earth where desperate survivors pick their way through the rubble of civilization and fight bloodthirsty warlords, degenerate mutants, rapacious biker gangs, horrid monsters, and of course, demons.
- Four more Victims of the Demon Lord installments: Between Two Worlds (fauns), Born to Kill (orcs), Ghosts in Machines (clockworks), and Stolen Lives (changelings).
Demon Lord resources
- Schwalb Entertainment's Shadow of the Demon Lord page
- BEDLAM, the official community for Shadow of the Demon Lord
- Pregenerated SotDL characters (World Builder Blog)
- Reddit/r/rpg advice to new Shadow of the Demon Lord gamemasters
- "Shadow of the Demon Lord experiences and pitfalls?" (January 2017 RPG.net forum thread with lots of good starting advice)
When the first bundle was released in 2017 I said
I think it looks like a reasonable deal, but I'm not going to be delving into it to see if I'm right or wrong. For this one you're on your own...
Sorry, but I'm afraid I'm not seeing anything here to change that. Try it if you like this sort of thing, I'm not going to advise either way.
Also posted at https://ffutures.dreamwidth.org/2138483.html, where there are comments. Please comment here or there using OpenID.