"This revived offer (originally presented in June 2017), first of two now in progress, presents the 1993 Second Edition of Mike Pondsmith's classic RPG of the dark future, Cyberpunk 2020 from R. Talsorian Games. The all-new companion offer is Cyberpunk Boost, with another data hoard of rulebooks and supplements. As the back cover of Cyberpunk 2020 tells us, "The Corporations control the world from their skyscraper fortresses, enforcing their rule with armies of cyborg assassins. On the Street, boostergangs roam a shattered urban wilderness, killing and looting. The rest of the world is a perpetual party, as fashion-model techies in the hottest clubs rub biosculpt jobs with battle-armored roadwarriors. The future never looked so bad -- but you can change it. You've got interface plugs in your wrists, weapons in your arms, lasers in your eyes, biochips in your brain. You're wired in, cyberenhanced, and solid state. Take it to the fatal Edge where only the toughest and coolest can go -- because you're Cyberpunk." Warm up your cyberwear and faxprinter, grab your mirrorshades and Dai Lung Magnum, tell the ripperdoc to stand by, and hit Night City's mean streets and hot clubs in the unimaginably faraway time of AD 2020.
We provide each ebook complete in .PDF (Portable Document Format). The new scans of the .PDF ebooks in this revived offer are much improved from its original June 2017 run, and they're all bookmarked. (Purchasers of the original run can find the improved ebooks on their Wizard's Cabinet download page.) Like all Bundle of Holding titles, these books have NO DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), and our customers are entitled to move them freely among all their ereaders.
Ten percent of each purchase (after gateway fees) goes to these two Cyberpunk offers' designated charity -- who else? -- the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
The total retail value of the titles in this offer is US$149.50. Customers who pay just US$14.95 get all six titles in this offer's Player Collection (retail value $48) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks:
- Cyberpunk 22.214.171.124 Second Edition (retail $15): The core rulebook for this quintessentially '90s RPG of high-tech lowlifes.
- Four role guides (total retail $27) adding options for individual character classes: Solo of Fortune (mercenaries), Protect & Serve (law enforcement), Wild Side (fixers), and Rockerboy (rock'n'roll will never die!).
- Blackhand's Street Weapons 2020 (retail $6): The big book of guns and every kind of armament.
- Night City (retail $9): One of the best city sourcebooks for Cyberpunk or any modern-day RPG, this jam-packed 180-page sourcebook covers Cyberpunk's signature urban sprawl.
- Three 2020 worldbooks (total retail $23) looking at life on the edge outside the US: Pacific Rim Sourcebook, Eurosource Plus, and Rough Guide to the UK.
- All four Chrome supplements (total retail $25): These trendsetting styleguides to the equipment and fashion of 2020 were called "Chromebooks" before we got laptops.
- Deep Space (retail $8): Escape the polluted Earth for the high frontier of Paradise Station, Chryse Base, and beyond.
- Rache Bartmoss's Guide to the Net (retail $9): Rache Bartmoss (the world's greatest netrunner) is dead -- which finally gives him time to write this acerbic gonzo-journalist tour of the information superhighway.
- Land of the Free and Home of the Brave (total retail $20.50): Two linked supplements on fallen America. Home of the Brave covers NPCs, plot hooks, and more from this fractured union. Land of the Free presents a sprawling road-trip campaign.
- Listen Up, You Primitive Screwheads! (retail $7): The unexpurgated Cyberpunk referee's guide with some of the best GM advice for this or any RPG.
"This all-new Cyberpunk Boost Bundle is one of two offers now in progress presenting the R. Talsorian Games RPG of the dark future, Cyberpunk -- the inspiration for the forthcoming CD Projekt Red videogame Cyberpunk 2077. This bargain-priced collection presents Cyberpunk V3.0, Cybergeneration, and a data hoard of supplements and sourcebooks -- two of them debuting in .PDF in this offer. The second bundle is a revival of our June 2017 Cyberpunk 2020 Bundle, with the C2020 rulebook and many supplements.The total retail value of the titles in this offer at launch is US$110.50. Customers who pay just US$12.95 get all four titles in this offer's Starter Collection (retail value $38.50) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks, including the Cybergeneration 2E core rulebook, set in an alternate 2027 where heroic CyberEvolved youths fight the Machine; the two Firestorm adventures of the Fourth Corporate War, Stormfront and Shockwave; and, debuting in .PDF in this offer and not yet available anywhere else, the newly remastered Cyberpunk 2020 Data Screen and its introductory adventure, "When the Chips Are Down."
Those who pay more than this offer's threshold (average) price, which is set at $19.95 to start, also get this offer's entire Bonus Collection with ten more titles worth an additional $72:
- Cyberpunk V3.0: The complete 291-page Third Edition core rulebook (2005), plus its FlashPak accessory kit.
- All three Cybergeneration "Documents of the Revolution" sourcebooks: EcoFront, MediaFront, and VirtualFront.
- When Gravity Fails, the licensed Cyberpunk 2020 supplement based on the Marîd Audran novels by George Alec Effinger.
- Three C2020 adventures: NeoTribes, Eurotour: Danger & Death on a Euro-Rock Tour, and Edgerunners Inc.
- Bartmoss's Brainware Blowout, an exuberant compilation of all the cyberware from every C2020 book plus lots of dangerous new stuff.
Cyberpunk 2020 resources
- R. Talsorian Games
- Datafortress 126.96.36.199
- Moosh.net character and lifepath generators
- Reddit's C2020 subreddit
- Karsten's C2020 Archive (in German)
- 1999 Kheper.net page of general cyberpunk resources
In its day this was a ground-breaking system, the first RPG to really explore Cyberpunk tropes, and it still has a lot to offer although some of the background now feels a little dated (or too factual, depending on your perspective). The system isn't as clunky as some from this period, and games move at a reasonable pace if the GM can avoid too many excursions into cyberspace. Other systems have since mined the same territory, but this is still a pretty good collection for the genre - the only big omission I can see is the Hardwired supplement, released for the first version of the game and based on Walter John Williams' novel, presumably the rights have lapsed.
My problem here is primarily that I already own most of this stuff as dead trees and haven't used it in a decade or two, also that it has dated by modern standards, though nowhere nearly as badly as some of its rivals. If I wanted to get into the genre and didn't already have it I would probably be very interested. Recommended, subject to all the usual disclaimers.
Also posted at https://ffutures.dreamwidth.org/2143564.html, where there are comments. Please comment here or there using OpenID.