This is slightly different - a collection of books about the history of the role-playing hobby. It's fascinating reading if you're into the games or work in the field, but you can't really use the material for anything; I suspect that the audience is relatively small. It's a repeat of an offer from 2015:
"If there's one thing the "old school" revival has taught us, it's that history is important to gamers. This January 2015 offer (previously revived in February 2017) explores our hobby's origins and high points.
We provide each ebook complete in .PDF (Portable Document Format). Like all Bundle of Holding titles, these books have NO DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), and our customers are entitled to move them freely among all their devices.
Ten percent of each purchase (after gateway fees) goes to this offer's pandemic-related charity, Heart to Heart International. Heart to Heart is delivering medical equipment to health care workers on the front lines in the Covid-19 pandemic.
The total retail value of the titles in this revival is US$75. Customers who pay just US$7.95 get all three titles in this revived offer's Starter Collection (retail value $35) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks:
- Designers & Dragons: The '70s (retail price $10): The first volume in Shannon Appelcline's history of RPG publishers (now supported by the Designers & Dragons Patreon campaign). This debut installment covers Dungeons & Dragons, the turbulent history of TSR, and the first generation of RPGs. Foreword by Greg Stafford.
- Family Games: The 100 Best (retail $10): A hundred famed designers review and discuss their favorite games: Blokus, Can't Stop, Gloom, Kill Dr. Lucky, Prince Valiant, and dozens more.
- 40 Years of Gen Con (retail $15): We can't go to Gen Con this year (sigh!), but we can still enjoy this photo-filled anecdotal reminiscence, compiled by Robin D. Laws, of the hobby's leading US convention. It's the best four decades in gaming!
Those who pay more than this offer's threshold (average) price, which is set at $17.95 to start, also get this revival's entire Bonus Collection with four more ebooks worth an additional $40:
- Hobby Games: The 100 Best (retail $10): From Amber Diceless Roleplaying to Wiz-War, a hundred leading designers praise their favorites.
- Designers & Dragons: The '80s (retail $10): GURPS, West End, Palladium, Champions, and much more. Foreword by Cyberpunk designer Mike Pondsmith.
- Designers & Dragons: The '90s (retail $10): World of Darkness, Wizards of the Coast, Warhammer 40K, Atlas Games, and more. Foreword by Peter Adkison, founder of Wizards and owner of Gen Con.
- Designers & Dragons: The '00s (retail $10): D20, Pathfinder, the indies, and more. Foreword by Paizo Publishing founder Lisa Stevens.
Last time I said - I'll be downloading it all, but I don't have to pay - if you do you may be less keen. I don't really see any reason to change that.
Also posted at https://ffutures.dreamwidth.org/2201282.html, where there are comments. Please comment here or there using OpenID.