I'm still not convinced that Linux is the answer to my computer problems, although it does seem to be a good way to give a PC a second lease of live without having to buy bloody Windows.
This leaves me with three main options:
- Buy Windows 7 and try to get it working on the most recent of my PCs. Not entirely sure I want to go this route - I get the impression that there are enough compatibility problems that I might end up regretting it.
- Buy a new Windows 7 box. Ditto
- Buy a Mac, possibly something like a good 2nd-hand G5. Defininte software problems, but if I'm likely to need new software either way I might as well go this route, it probably isn't much more expensive.
- Can I readily get something that will use my 22" VGA monitor? And let me rotate the bastard?
- Can you get keyboards suited to heavy two-finger typists?
- What's available for OCR?
- Is there an upgrade path for Acrobat (not reader, the version you pay for) from Windows to Mac?
- Is there a good equivalent to Corel Draw? And a good basic paint program that isn't a PITA to learn?