Several interesting lessons here:
Why was I the only bidder?
- Because the vendor listed them in wholesale and job lots / consumer electronics instead of the usual Business / medical and laboratory category.
- because he used none of the key-words that might have attracted more interest, such as "Data-logger"
- because the description didn't really say what they were or what they can do, or mention some built-in sensors that might have made them useful for other purposes.
- and I suspect, because £12 postage seemed high if you didn't know what they were.
Why did I find them?
- because I have about 20 searches running on things like manufacturer names, and the vendor did use the manufacturer's name - a really obscure one, but it's one I search on.
Lessons I've learned from this as a seller
- choose a realistic starting price unless I am VERY sure that the item will sell for a lot more if I start low
- choose the right category
- describe things clearly
- use all possible search terms in the item title
Lessons as a buyer
- definitely keep those obscure searches running!
Currently feeling very smug - may not last, but it's nice while it does!